5/9/12

Woman's Hysteria

Every time I look at a heartbroken woman, I sympathize with her, I even join her in bashing and abusing the man. I would not say I am proud of this act. But there is something tragic about woman in love, something tragic enough for me to call it romantic. The idea of loving with all your soul and then not ever getting this love returned. Yes, Yes, before I got slaughtered for being an anti-men feminist and writing an anti men article,I would just like to say : am about to write about woman's hysteria (an uncontrollable unleash of emotions), a madness that was once was made so famous by Mr. Freud. He was right : woman suffer from hysteria, and this time I call this hysteria : love.

Let me state my background : I had a long chat with my best friend : she always excites me, I see all my brain cells active and the best part : I see no point in hiding my inner most feelings , my thoughts, I go hysterical and funny enough she gets this language of mine. mind you, it is a very well developed language. You need to be a woman, and be aware of being a woman and capable of being a woman to posses this skill for this language. So here we were discussing, and all of a sudden , I started talking about hysteria. Madness, the tragedy of love, the so called passion of a woman in love.



My friend said something about a movie, that once touched my heart and soul.7 khoon maaf (7 sins forgiven), an Indian movie about female protagonist's quest for love that leads to a series of marriages, each ending in the mysterious death of her latest husband.According to my friend, in each killing protagonist was providing redemption to the men. She was saving them and she was only capable of true love,and she had to kill them to be truly honest to them. This thought obviously struck me. I had felt a great sense of grief after watching the movie. I was alone in the theatre and felt really helpless. I so wanted to tell the protagonist, she would not find this love. This is hysteria,where she would only get lost in her own language.


This theme again repeated in novels, Madam Bovary(French novel) and again in Anna Karenina(Russian novel). Both masterpieces had  protagonists who were affected by something supernatural. They were trying to find some love, that would fulfill this purpose of life. They were unmanageable and they had fits of emotions. They wanted to cry and laugh at the same time. They cheated on their husbands, had various affairs and were never ever happy. They were always turmoiled by their emotions, their lack of control on their emotions and their ability to love was uncontrollable to the extent that they were no more aware about what did they want in their life. They both committed suicide. 

It sounds all stupid, it does not make sense and it never seems possible . Hysteria was considered a major disease to the extent that it was supposed to be affecting woman during their menstruation periods and sexual frustration. 

But is it possible that these woman were actually in love and it was the sole reason for them to behave in this wild , mad manner? Obviously in all the above mentioned 3 stories, they ended either committing suicide or finding redemption in religion. They had to be saved from their diseases and the creators of the characters, did provide them with this redemption. But I want to ask something else, Y did they need the redemption, Y do characters like these end up with death? Y do woman who go mad in love, become a tragic love story? Y is that there was never a language for this hysteria ? Y was Freud so keen in curing these woman of their disease called hysteria ? 

I am not seeking for answers here. I am just trying to take an interest in a language which was lost in this disease called hysteria , I wanted to produce a thought to re-invoke this idea of love and madness without the contempt of mockery or pity. I do not want to be forgiven or saved. I want to be heard. 




1 comment:

  1. you tied it together in the end :)

    love what you've written!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete