10/7/12

To the Dickens, Brontes and Austins : Miss the English landscape


I have never written anything about England . I stayed there for one year and hardly spoke anything about the life there. Maybe I was busy being anti-British. Or busy defending a fake patriotism that arose out of nowhere. There are times I think about England and there are things I miss about England.

The lovely countryside is something I'll always relate England with. Such wide green pastures of landscapes was a treat for eyes . I was never into appreciating natural beauty, but long stretches of greenery after sometime starts playing with one's vision. The way the leaves changed their colours ;the way seasons paved path for each other was something very beautiful. I was taught by my friends, not to fret about the long spells of rain. It made me realise the wonderful gift of having abundance of sun, which I never appreciated before. The first look of snow was one of the most beautiful experiences of my life. England will always be special in memory of snow.


The idea of travelling was at its best in England. The ease with which I could travel to any part of the United Kingdom, is something Ill always be grateful to the national trains. The sheer fact that I could even afford thinking going to Scotland for my birthday, is a luxury that England accorded me. It taught me a different sense of travelling. I am still a spontaneous traveler  but England taught me a sense of time and punctuality. Hate admitting this, but yes England taught me punctuality. I guess, one of the best virtues I could learn :)

I used to feel safe, as a woman that's something I had not experienced before. Being an Indian I am used to being on my guards all the time, But somehow I lost my guards in England, I am not generalising here, but there was this light sense of feeling, which was great. It was nice , not to be reminded that I was a woman all the time. It was nice to walk on the streets in odd hours of the day and still feel safe.

I did realise staring at the lovely landscape that it was perfect for DH Lawrence to write those classic novels or for Jane Austin to wind those lovely romantic scenes located in the middle of pastures. Wuthering heights found its greatest gift in the hidden countryside. Graham Greene had to be born in England to start his soul search.



And yes, to all the lovely dickens, brontes and Austins, I do understand why you wrote such lovely classics based in England. It has charm of its own.

An ode to the lovely time, Thank you England :)

No comments:

Post a Comment